The center console on Jennifer’s 2012 Honda Pilot had seen better days.
We asked around at various upholstery shops for quotes on fixing this console, and the general consensus was it would cost around $200. That seemed excessive so I pointedly forgot about it.
Jennifer did not though. Unbeknownst to me she found and ordered a replacement cover for about $20 off of Amazon. When it arrived she asked if I could do the replacement. I’ve never done upholstery work and told her as much but said I’d give it a shot.
I went about removing and then disassembling the cover.
It took me a few minutes to figure out how to remove this black piece but in the end it just took a little brute force and it popped out.
This allowed me to remove the cover. So I did so and took it inside.
Once I had the latch off I realized I was going to have to remove a bunch of staples. This ended up being the worst part of the whole process. I found that a flat head screwdriver and some needle nose pliers worked pretty well.
The halfway point has been reached! The old cover is off. Now I just need to figure out how to get the new one on!
My favorite part of the projects my wife gives me is that without fail they always requires me to make at least one trip to Lowe’s. I had a couple of staple guns at home, but they were mechanical ones and I was afraid that they wouldn’t have enough power to embed the staples into the hard plastic of the console. So I decided I needed a pneumatic one. I was also out of adhesive spray and I thought that would be a good idea as well.
HOLY COW! Staple guns are expensive! After realizing that I didn’t want to spend $200 on a pneumatic staple gun I decided to go and look to see if they had a mechanical one better than the ones I had. Low and behold, they had this one for $35 in the staples section. So I grabbed it (along with some staples)!
Now that I had all the supplies that I needed I dry fit the new cover onto the console and made a mark for where it should lay.
I didn’t get a picture of the next step. I sprayed the console with a generous amount of the spray adhesive and then let it set up. Then I placed the console down onto the cover aligning it with the mark I made.
Next cam using the new tool! I was so excited that I didn’t take a picture until I had 8 or 10 staples already in. The Arrow staple gun worked perfectly!
A couple of sleeves of staples later and the cover was attached.
All that was left at this point was to put the console back together.
And now for the final result!
I’m super pleased with how this turned out.